* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:55 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I was just wandering as my snake started to dig into the wood chips and stays there for the whole time. It dosn't seem to want to do anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:51 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

I am hoping so. Mine now seems to be. I have turned down his heat. I was worried and got some help on this board. viewtopic.php?f=274&t=30513

Mine is a biggy and when I let him go in the bath water he was able to swim up and out, quite a difficult time there :hmm: .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:54 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I read on the internet I should turn his heat mat off but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:36 am 
My male never did hibernate but for breeding purposes most do hibernate them and turn the heating down gradually until its of and then put it back on next year,but saying that he did go through a few months of not wanting to eat and came back with a good appertite in january.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:22 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thnx cornbug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 pm 
I haven't kept snakes for long, but I personally wouldn't just turn the temp down because the corns should hibernate during Winter. People hibernate their snakes tend to because they want to breed them and that meant to get the breeding snake in top condition before the mating season begins.

All my corns have eaten during Winter and I intend to keep them going as long as they want to eat this year. I would just let the nature takes it cause and if any of my snakes want to hibernate, I will do the hibernation. (Got enough tortoises that I need to wind them down for hinbernation, I can do without the snakes too. :roll: )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:41 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Corns and kings have a natural desire to brumate as the days get shorter and cooler, its not a true hibernation, as the temperatures at which they become torpid and start to lose interest in food is much higher than animals that truly hibernate.
If you want too cool them down for a period of 6-12 weeks, make sure that they have emptied their stomachs any undigested food will rot inside them during brumation and will kill your snake.
Dont feed him for a couple of weeks, then give him a warmish bath...this will encourage him to empty any waste, then ideally if you have a stat on your heatmat turn it down to 50-55f over a period of a 3-7 days keeping an eye on him when you do to make sure he settles.
Keep water in with them all the time, as they will still drink if they need too and make sure that they dont lose too much weight over their rest.
start to warm him up after a period of at least 6 weeks, after which time he/she will be raring to find a mate!!!...You might also find that they will be more preocupied with trying to find a mate than to feed dont worry they will soon feed OK

Dead simple

hope that helps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks Boelen and Felix. But I think I will keep him going as long as he wants to. As long as he eats I think its ok. But I was just making sure if its ok for him not to hibernate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

You'll find most snake keepers dont let thier snakes brumate unless they are going to breed them, sometimes though they'll naturally go of thier food in preperation for it and can be stubborn to start feeding again. If its feeding and you dont want to breed it then no point in cooling it down, just carry on looking after it as normal :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I don't want to breed him so I will just leave him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:37 pm 
Really getting into this place

I have two baby corns from the same clutch. One is eating like a pig but the other has slowed down and doesn't come out as much. Could that be why?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:19 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

ChristineW wrote:
I have two baby corns from the same clutch. One is eating like a pig but the other has slowed down and doesn't come out as much. Could that be why?
I think it is. Though my one is more of eating like a 'pig. My snake doesn't want to slow down so I keep on feeding him as normal.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:48 pm 

this is a bit long winded but very helpful to anyone who wonders?
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingCorns.htm