* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cali King X Corn
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:48 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

My female Corn has been out of brumation now for about 2 weeks, I borrowed 3 male corns of a friend so that I may beable to mate her with them. My female has now gone into shed so I am waiting for her to shed... However, I have a Cali King that has wintered herself and then shed the other day so in the 'colubrid mating mood' I put my friends Amelanistic (or Red Albino) corn in with her literaly straight after she shed.

Straight away they were both wriggaling and writhing about but sadley no cigar! so every morning now I put the Amelanistic back in with the Cali King and after a couple of days they are now starting to get cozy again. I'm hoping after a few more introductions they will mate.

I was going to put another couple of males in but they have all gone into shed and as soon as they shed (and my female corn) they will mate with my Corn.

I wonder if I will get an Amelanistic Jungle Corn!!!!???....Hmmmm.

Post subject: Re: Cali King X Corn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:21 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hope u arent leaving them together for long periods of time. Calis are renowned like most kingsnakes for eating their partners as they do tend to eat rattlesnakes in the wild. This is the reason i havent paired my calis up yet. Why not just breed corn to corn?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:41 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
Calis are renowned like most kingsnakes for eating their partners

While cali's ARE ophidiophagous, I think this is vastly overexagerated these days. Providing thier partners arent smaller and the cali is well fed, there should be next to no danger at all. Cali males once they're in the mood to mate sometimes go off thier food anyway...maybe as a safety mechanism in the wild to suppress thier desire to each prospective partners?

I used to use male kings that were smaller than the female corns to produce jungles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:37 pm 
filthy hybrids.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:46 am 
Admin
Admin

see news to me i didnt even know people crossed these 2 snakes :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:59 pm 
Shaz wrote:
see news to me i didnt even know people crossed these 2 snakes :oops:

aye some speciees can be cross bred but most people are against it.
its unnatural

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
its unnatural

Are the same people against just about every morph of snake ie Corns, Kings, Royals, retics and burms too?.....if they are theres an awful lot of hypocrites about then. Just about every modern morph wouldnt survive in the wild especially the likes of amels and albinos :roll:

Here we go again...light blue touch paper and stand well back!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:26 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

In truth, depending on the local of different snakes there are a lot of wild bred hybrids. especialy between Milk/King snakes and Corns as they can be found in the same region. I don't think hybridisation is wrong but gene fixing is as they need to breed with direct family members to create the right gene pool to get most morphs. Royal (or Ball's for the yanks) Pythons are a prime example of gene fixing.

Hybridisation is wild in humans and dogs and cats and fish, so I don't have a problem with it.

And I check my animals throughout the day to make sure I have 2! I must say, they seem to be very lovey dovey and it can be quite sad to split them up at night!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 am 
Boelen wrote:
Quote:
its unnatural

Are the same people against just about every morph of snake ie Corns, Kings, Royals, retics and burms too?.....if they are theres an awful lot of hypocrites about then. Just about every modern morph wouldnt survive in the wild especially the likes of amels and albinos :roll:

Here we go again...light blue touch paper and stand well back!

morphology and hybridization are two totally different things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 am 
CCFCExile wrote:
In truth, depending on the local of different snakes there are a lot of wild bred hybrids. especialy between Milk/King snakes and Corns as they can be found in the same region. I don't think hybridisation is wrong but gene fixing is as they need to breed with direct family members to create the right gene pool to get most morphs. Royal (or Ball's for the yanks) Pythons are a prime example of gene fixing.

Hybridisation is wild in humans and dogs and cats and fish, so I don't have a problem with it.

And I check my animals throughout the day to make sure I have 2! I must say, they seem to be very lovey dovey and it can be quite sad to split them up at night!!

fair enough in some circumstances hybridization does sometimes happen in the wild. i dont see the point in it in captivity, there are already enough different morphs and species to choose from on the market so why hybridize? and most of the time when snakes are hybridized in captivity it is for one sole purpose, Money. one prime example of what hybridization can course... avicularia species.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:49 am 
Supporter
Supporter

gl with that i heard it can be hard to get the 2 to breed. whats wrong with hybrid snakes? not one thing wrong :roll: